I recently had the pleasure of reading an advance copy of Dead Sprint, the third book in the Ellie Matthews series by Caroline Fardig. A traditional/police procedural mystery, Dead Sprint released earlier this week.
Criminalist Ellie Matthews has turned over a new leaf. For the first time in her life, she’s working on herself and putting the past behind her with the encouragement of the new man she’s seeing, FBI Agent Vic Manetti.
Her first attempt at competitive running is cut short when a woman is found dead along the trail. At first, the case seems to be open and shut. But when a gruesome photo of the victim goes viral, tagged with a chilling caption threatening more violence, Ellie must delve into the mind of a deranged killer to get to the truth.
Though Ellie’s relationship with Detective Nick Baxter has been strained to its breaking point, the two find themselves teaming up once again in a race to bring down the killer before he takes another life.
Ellie Matthews is a likable character. She takes on challenges and faces her personal struggles without flinching. At least, not much. And she is smart and gutsy. The mystery pulls you in early on, and the crisp writing holds your attention. As fitting the genre, as the story progresses, a myriad of suspects and motives emerge and the plot takes twists and turns en route to a satisfying resolution.
A great choice for fans of traditional mysteries – well written and fast paced from start to finish.
Note: Although this can definitely be read as a standalone, I suspect I might have to go back and read the first two for added insight into the evolution of Ellie’s relationships with both Nick and Vic.
FTC disclosure: I received an advance review copy of this book from the author. This has not affected the content of my review in any way.
About the Author
Caroline Fardig is the USA Today Bestselling Author of over a dozen mystery novels. Fardig’s BAD MEDICINE was named one of the “Best Books of 2015” by Suspense Magazine. She worked as a schoolteacher, church organist, insurance agent, funeral parlor associate, coffeehouse owner, and stay-at-home mom before she realized that she wanted to be a writer when she grew up. Born and raised in a small town in Indiana, Fardig still lives in that same town with an understanding husband, two sweet kids, two energetic dogs, and one malevolent cat.
Follow Caroline at:
- Website: http://www.carolinefardig.com/
- Blog: https://www.carolinefardig.com/blog/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carolinefardigbooks
- Instagram: instagram.com/carolinefardigbooks
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7009795.Caroline_Fardig
Buy the book:
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZJLGXQC
- Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dead-sprint-caroline-fardig/1129811877
- Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/dead-sprint-2
- iBooks: https://books.apple.com/us/book/dead-sprint/id1562187817
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Caroline_Fardig_Dead_Sprint?id=9m4sEAAAQBAJ